To avoid short & long lasting injuries which can be caused by incorrect lifting in the workplace, below are simple procedures that can be followed to minimise the risk of such injures.
Correct Lifting Techniques:
- Use mechanical lifting equipment where possible or necessary
- Plan the lift by estimating the relevant load and knowing where exactly it is to be placed
- Ensure that access to the desired area is clear
- Avoid lifting excessively heavy loads by yourself – ASK FOR ASSISTANCE
- Avoid bending your back to pick up a load – bend your knees & keep your back straight
- Avoid twisting whilst lifting & carrying
- Take optimal care to avoid the likelihood of slips, trips and falls
- Overall physical fitness and a gradual build up to higher work levels/heavier loads help to avoid back strains and injuries
Note: when lifting correctly, the lower back is supporting three times the weight lifted, however, when lifting incorrectly, it supports fifteen times the weight lifted.